Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Making Baby Food...Easy as Pie!

I started making baby food for my twins, what feels like eons ago. A smart friend of mine gave me a baby food mill at my baby shower. When I opened the gift I was puzzled at first, I had not registered for this strange item, but it has by far gotten the most use of any of the other baby gifts I received, talk about practical (Thanks Corine!).

Now that Eden is starting to sample her first solid foods, I dusted off our trusty baby food mill, for it's 3rd go 'round. Talk about bringing back memories.

First I started with some beautiful organic sweet potatoes.















Next I washed them, poked holes in them and rinsed them in water before covering them with aluminum foil and baking them at 415 degrees for 45 minutes, per this recipe. I managed to sneak in a cat nap with Eden while they baked, the recipe did not call for this, but it sure did help me. ;)

When they were done baking I peeled off the skin, and cut the potatoes into chunks before mashing them in the food mill.















Once I had everything mashed I placed it in ice cube trays and put them in the freezer! I learned this trick when I first started making baby food, and was thrilled to discover that each ice cube is about 1 oz. so you have some sort of measurement to go off of when feeding your little one.















Once frozen I plopped all the cubes in a ziploc baggy where they happily await me in my freezer. Just thaw and serve! Talk about easy, healthy, and cheap too! You can't beat that. Enjoy!

1 comment:

MDTaz said...

This is exactly what I used to do when my girls were babies. Now they are 7 and 9, and guess what. They love vegetables. I have to believe they acquired a taste for the real deal because I made their baby food without sugar and HFCS and the other additives you find in store-bought baby food.

But believe me, I'm not one of those happy-to-be-in-the-kitchen smiling supermoms. The make-a-ton-at-once and freeze 'em in cubes system saved me (and the sweet potatoes were a favorite...).