Sunday, August 3, 2008

3 weeks and 5 days!

That's how much longer we have in VA! The movers will be here on August 26th to pack everything, then on the 27th they'll load it all up and drive it to TN where it will stay in storage until we call to have it delivered to our new house. Kyle's leave starts on Friday the 29th, and we'll be on the road that night! I can't believe it. We've ordered the boys little travel tent/beds to replace the bulky pack-n-plays, and those will be here any day. For the first couple weeks in town we'll be staying with Kyle's Dad and step-mom. They have been very generous and offered for us to set up camp with them until we find a house/rental situation that we feel good about. I feel totally unprepared for the immense task that is a hand, but Kyle and I both has so much peace and excitement for the upcoming adventure. If we could we'd be on the road already!

In other news, I made it into print this week! Richmond Parenting Magazine did a piece on women's birth choices and the rising cesarean rate in the US. They contacted the local ICAN chapter(International Cesarean Awareness Network) of which I've been a member for the last 8 months and asked to hear from VBAC moms who were willing to share their stories. The response from the Richmond area was overwhelming and therefore not everyone's interviews were able to be used, but I was delighted when I picked up a copy of the magazine to find my quotes had been used in the article. It's such a small thing, but for a stay at home mom of 3 who doesn't get out very much, it is very gratifying. It means that all the work and research I have done might encourage and inspire another mom who is on the same journey I found myself on this time last year.

Another thing I'm really excited about is the opportunity I have been given to start a local ICAN chapter in Nashville. ICAN is basically a grass roots support system by moms and for moms that have had cesarean sections and are looking for support, education and resources as they attempt to have a VBAC (vaginal birth after cesarean). It is becoming harder and harder nowadays for women to find OBs that will support VBAC, even though the research clearly shows that repeat c-sections pose much greater risks to both mother and baby. One can only assume that the powers that be (the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists aka ACOG) has the interests of it's highly paid doctors and the major insurance companies in mind when they so idley stand by and watch the cesarean rate sore to a whopping 31%. Okay, getting down off my soap box now. Anyway, there isn't an ICAN chapter in the whole state of TN, so I'm really eager to start holding meetings and getting integrated with the Nashville birth community. I've gone through the leadership accreditation process and now I just have to get to Nashville and start the advertising/publicity side of things.

Trevor has his 2 month check up early in the morning so I'm gonna head to bed before it gets too late. Thanks for listening to me ramble!

PS. Oh and can I just say, Jesus for President is a must read! I just finished it tonight and I'm blown away. It has totally challenged my perspective and is making me rethink what it really means to be a follower of Christ.

No comments: