Thursday, February 28, 2008

Awww, Dinner Menus

I'm such a planner. I always have been. But it wasn't until recently that I discovered the art of meal planning. I can't tell you how many times I would get lost in the chaos of the day, 3 pm would roll around and I'd have NO plans for dinner and no time to thaw anything. Needless to say dinners were getting pretty bleak around here for a while. Plus, now that Avery and Ezra eat pretty much everything we do, I wanted to ensure they were getting a balanced diet. So last month I decided to give it a go. I just picked 7 meals that I knew were practical and yummy and made them twice in a two week period. I was able to go to the store and leave there knowing I had exactly enough food to get us through for two weeks! I thought for sure we'd end up spending more money than we had been but it was quite the opposite. We were getting MORE food, and spending LESS! Gotta love that. I know this seems so simple (and I'm sure I sound like an advertisement!) but I was absolutely blown away by just how much a little planning will accomplish. Now all I have to do is look at the "Caldwell Dinner Menu" and see what's on the books for that night. It sure does make my days a little easier. And that on ANY level is a very good thing!

2 comments:

Bobbie Jo said...

do you have one of my cookbooks? I wrote it because of what I went through having Kyle living with us and then Mandy was born and I really didn't know what to cook, nor how to cook for that matter. If you don't have one, let me know and I'll send you one.
Love and miss you,
BJ

Anonymous said...

I second Bobbie Jo's cookbook. Her recipe for chicken pot pie is a standby in our house. She even tells how to boil an egg in that book!
And* the chicken pie freezes like a dream for quick lunches or hurry up dinners. :=)

G. A. Cathy